Thursday, January 24, 2013

Starting out...

Tokyo Tower

Japan isn't a perfect country, not even to someone like me who wants to live here indefinitely. Like every country on earth, Japan has staggering problems that may never be solved. 

Examples include Japan's almost pathetic understanding of non-Japanese people, women's rights in all areas of society, age-based hierarchy at work, the amount of hours one is expected to work per day, and how no one sees a reason to complain about anything outright. 

There are times when I am left shaking my head and wondering why I ever thought I'd want to live in such a country. It has so many problems, and it isn't a country designed to welcome foreigners who want to live here. 

Here is the strange thing about it, though: This is the first country where I felt like I was home.

In a country notorious for shunning foreigners, I felt like I belonged. It felt like destiny had called me to this country, and I am trying to stay here as long as possible. 

In this blog I will try to write about what it's like to live in Japan, however that may turn out. I am only one person so this is, by no means, an accurate portrayal of Japan. It's just what I experience and how I feel about what I experience. 

I hope you enjoy reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment